Pull out your slow cooker for this easy gluten-free taco recipe. We have these gluten free chicken tacos at least once a month. I like making gluten-free crock pot chicken as it’s so easy and I can use the gluten-free shredded chicken for gluten-free tacos, burritos, nachos and more!
Besides tacos, I also use this gluten-free shredded chicken to make chicken quesadillas, enchiladas, taco salad, and on nachos. That’s a lot of yummy family-friendly meals you can make using this one simple gluten-free crockpot meal. I can usually get at least 3 meals for our family of 4 out of this recipe.
The shredded chicken also freezes well, so I will often make a double batch and divide into family-size servings in Ziploc freezer bags and freeze so I can pull out on a busy weeknight for an easy dinner.
One of the things that I think makes many of us moms feel great is when we serve an easy, healthy meal that our kids love! It is so rewarding when the whole family will sit up and chow down on a meal we’ve made that is also healthy. These gluten-free crockpot shredded chicken tacos are one of those well-liked meals.
I love gluten-free crockpot recipes and I know many of you do too! They make getting dinner going so easy.
I can start this chicken in the Crock-pot just after lunch and the meat is ready to shred and eat at dinnertime. The chicken shreds so easily that I just use a couple of forks to shred it right in the Crock-pot. Aren’t gluten-free crockpot meals the best?!
Notes on ingredients for these gluten-free chicken tacos:
- Chicken: I always use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken tenders. I’ve never used chicken thighs for this but I think you could use boneless chicken thighs.
- Taco seasoning: You can use any gluten-free taco seasoning. The one from McCormick is great – I can find it at some local stores, but you can also get a 12 pack of them from Amazon here. We also like Trader Joe’s taco seasoning mix. I also use a homemade taco seasoning when I make this and will post that soon.
- For the chicken broth, I recommend Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth as it is gluten-free, unlike some other brands. Definitely read the labels on any chicken broth you want to use.
Yes, only three ingredients for this shredded taco chicken!
Obviously you cook the meat for these chicken tacos in a slow cooker. I recommend this Crock-pot slow cooker. I had another Crock-pot I recommended for years, but I noticed it isn’t available for purchase any more, so I tried more recent ones and found this one is just as great as the one I used to recommend!
How to make Gluten-free Taco Chicken in slow cooker:
Pour the gluten-free chicken broth and gluten-free taco seasoning into the slow cooker.
Place the chicken breasts in the broth.
Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
After the chicken has cooked, use two forks to shred the chicken into small pieces. I shred it right in the slow cooker.
Serve this gluten-free shredded chicken with your favorite corn tortillas or gluten-free flour tortillas. I really like the Mission corn tortillas and Mission gluten-free flour tortillas. Sometimes I’ll mix it up and buy some labeled gluten-free hard shell taco shells.
Serve these crockpot chicken tacos with all your favorite toppings.
I always set out sour cream, chopped tomatoes, chopped lettuce, and chopped onions.
I like serving homemade gluten-free guacamole if I have avocados on hand. It’s pictured above.
If I have time, I’ll make Instant Pot refried beans or I’ll use canned to save time.
Or sometimes I’ll opt for canned black beans. I’m wanting to try making these Instant Pot Black Beans from my friend Cindy.
If you make these gluten-free tacos for your next taco night and enjoy them, please come back and give this recipe a 5 star rating in the recipe card! Feel free to comment with tips or to share any successful substitutions you made.
Gluten-free Taco Recipe:
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken broth (recommend Pacific)
- 1 packet gluten-free taco seasoning mix or 2-3 Tbsp. homemade seasoning
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders (thawed)
- Pour the chicken broth and seasoning into the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breasts in the broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- After chicken has cooked, use two forks to shred it into small pieces. I shred it right in the slow cooker.
- Use with your favorite toppings and tortillas for tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, nachos, etc.
When I double this recipe, I do not double the broth. If I triple the recipe, then I do double the broth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally published March 2014, updated with all new photos May 2022.
Original photo from 2014 (man what a bad photo!)
I hope you and your family enjoy these shredded chicken tacos slow cooker as much as mine did!