Sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamins and make a filling side dish. Getting your kids to eat them isn’t hard if you serve them with this sweet glaze. The brown sugar and cinnamon glaze on these sweet potatoes makes this a great side dish for your gluten-free meal. I know I’ve found a great recipe for sweet potatoes when my husband will even eat them!
Here in the United States, the words sweet potatoes and yams are used pretty interchangeably. You can read about the actual differences between sweet potatoes and yams here. You want to buy the varieties with a copper colored skin and orange flesh. One of the stores I shop at calls them yams and has a dark variety and am even darker variety. I like to buy a mix of both which results in a little color variation in the finished dish. I really haven’t noticed a difference in the taste from the two different varieties I buy, so it is just for aesthetics.
For this recipe, you’ll just peel the sweet potatoes/yams, then cube them up. The smaller you cut the cubes, the faster this dish will cook, so keep that in mind if you are pressed for time. However, if you cut them too small, they’ll also overcook and get mushy easily, so make sure you keep an eye on them. After cubing, you’ll toss them in a 9×13 pan before coating them with the sauce. You can just use a 9×13 glass Pyrex pan, but this time I used the HIC Porcelain Lasagna Pan that I bought last year. I love how the bright white pan really makes the color of these sweet potatoes pop and makes this a pretty side dish.
If your family loves sweet potatoes and you’d like to try a savory side dish as well, check out my recipe for Two-Tone Potato Wedges as well. They are a family favorite as well!
- 4 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 3/4" cubes
- 5 Tbsp. salted butter or dairy-free alternative like margarine
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- pinch of ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Peel and cube sweet potatoes, cutting them into 3/4" cubes. If you are pressed for time and need this to cook quicker, you can cut into 1/2" cubes to save a little cooking time.
- Arrange cubed sweet potatoes in a lightly greased 9x13" baking pan (recommend glass, ceramic or porcelain).
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Bring to a boil, whisking together until well blended. Remove from heat and pour over sweet potatoes. Use a large spoon or spatula to stir to coat. It is okay if it doesn't coat them completely, or if it the sauce hardens up. It will thin out as it cooks.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and place in preheated oven. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover and stir again to coat well with sauce.
- Return to oven uncovered and continue baking until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. I usually test them for doneness with a fork - you want it to go in a cube easily. Remove from oven when they test done and serve!
Linking up at Gluten-free Wednesdays with gfe and The Gluten-free Homemaker.
Note: Some links in this post are my referral links. Read my disclosure policy here. If you do decide to purchase something at Amazon after following my link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog.