I’m working my way to getting at least one recipe posted in each of my recipe categories, and I can’t think of a better recipe to lead off my side dishes category than Two-Tone Potato Wedges. These potato wedges are similar to french fries, only with more flavor! Crispy russet potatoes and sweet potatoes are perfectly seasoned with sea salt, pepper, garlic and Parmesan cheese. These are delicious served as-is, but your kiddos might also enjoy dipping them in ketchup or barbeque sauce.
I try to incorporate sweet potatoes into our meals at least once or twice a month. Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin A, beta-carotene, potassium, and more. They are also one of the few veggies that everyone in my family enjoys! Even if you have a family member that doesn’t usually like sweet potatoes, you might win them over with these! If your family loves sweet potatoes, you might consider using two large sweet potatoes and only one Russet instead.
I live in beautiful Idaho, the potato state, which is great since I love potatoes! I have at least 8 potato side dishes that I regularly make and look forward to sharing them all with you here on the blog.
I discovered this recipe in Taste of Home magazine back in 2007. I finally made these for the first time about 2-3 years ago, and they became an instant family favorite. You can view the original recipe at Taste of Home here. I never seem to find “medium” sweet potatoes, so I go with large sweet potatoes and large Russet potatoes in my recipe and have adjusted the seasonings to reflect this. This recipe is gluten-free as is. If you decide to use a seasoning salt instead of the sea salt, make sure you check the ingredients in that as not all seasonings are gluten-free.
Pick up some sweet potatoes and Russet potatoes the next time you are in the store so you can throw together this simple side dish! We enjoy it with hamburgers, hot dogs, steak, and French Dip Sandwiches.
- 2 large Idaho Russet Potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Place a large Ziploc bag in a bowl to hold it upright. Into the bag, add the oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Scrub potatoes but do not peel. Cut each potato into about 16 wedges. Add potato wedges to the Ziploc bag. Seal bag and shake to coat. (I usually do more than "shake", use your fingers to move potatoes around from the outside of bag to get good coverage of all the seasoning.
- Line a 15x10x1" baking pan (a jelly roll pan) with aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Arrange the potato wedges in a mostly single layer covering the pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20 minutes. Turn the potatoes; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and minced garlic.
- Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown.
If you need to cook dairy-free, just omit the Parmesan. These will still be delicious!