Gluten-free S’mores Sandwich Cookies are made with chocolate dipped graham cookies filled with a fluffy, shiny marshmallow frosting! No one will guess these are gluten-free and dairy-free!
A few weeks ago, Enjoy Life Foods sent me some goodies to use to come up with a new yummy recipe. I picked the Vanilla Graham cookies and bags of semi-sweet chocolate and envisioned something S’mores related. I thought about parfaits or pies, but then decided some sort of no-bake gluten-free cookie treat would be perfect for summer.
With a little trial and error, I came up with these addictive treats. These no-bake gluten-free S’mores Sandwich Cookies are perfect for your next school or team party, potluck, or even just a family night at home! Gluten-free Vanilla Graham cookies are dipped in melted dairy-free chocolate, then sandwiched together with homemade marshmallow frosting.
Word of warning: they are as messy as campfire S’mores, so you’ll want to grab some wet wipes too! They are so worth it though! I usually am very self-controlled with my portions of desserts, but I ate 4 of these in one day! I LOVED them!
I don’t know about you, but right now we’re busy with end of the year parties, sports parties and camps. If you are like me, you are sometimes scrambling to come up with a yummy treat that will work with the various allergies of kids and adults present. That’s where Enjoy Life Foods products come in! All Enjoy Life Foods products are specially made to be free-from the eight most common food allergens – wheat/gluten, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish and shellfish, plus they are made in allergen-free facilities. My fellow friends with celiac will be happy to know that all of their products are also certified gluten-free by the Gluten-free Certification Organization.
These gluten-free S’mores Sandwich Cookies are free of gluten and all of the most common allergens except eggs (the filling uses egg whites).
The glossy, tasty marshmallow filling in these cookies was the hardest part of this recipe. I tried 5 different fillings before getting this one that works perfectly! I had initially hoped that I could get by with just using a jar of Marshmallow Cream as the filling, but that didn’t work. After sitting out on the counter for less than an hour, I came back to find ALL of the filling had oozed out onto my countertop!
Finally after repeated failures with filling recipes, my friend Megan of Allergy Free Alaska told me to use her homemade Marshmallow Frosting recipe. I am so glad she did because it is perfect! So yummy! The filling did not ooze out of the S’mores Cookie sandwiches unless I stacked them – so just avoid stacking them, okay?! I used an offset spatula, also known as an icing spatula to spread the chocolate and the marshmallow frosting and definitely recommend you use one too.
You should be able to find the Enjoy Life Vanilla Graham cookies and chocolate chunks and chips at your local store in the gluten-free, allergy, or health food section. The packaging is now teal, instead of the orange ones in my photo. To find where to buy locally or online, visit their website here. Many of their products are also available from Amazon with free prime shipping here which is handy if you are already ordering items on Amazon. (Am I the only one adding chocolate or treats to my Amazon orders regularly?)
I hope you’ll try these soon! I know I’m planning to make them again the next time my boys have their friends over. I know they will be a hit!
Gluten-free Smores Cookies Recipe:
- 2 boxes Enjoy Life Vanilla Honey Graham Crackers (6.3 oz. each)
- 1 10 oz. bag Enjoy Life semi-sweet Mega Chunks or mini chips
- 3 teaspoons Organic Vegetable shortening or coconut oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup organic cane sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 of a 10 oz. bag Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chips
Preparing the cookies:
- Pour the chocolate chunks or mini chips from the one full bag into a medium saucepan. Add the 3 teaspoons of organic vegetable shortening or coconut oil. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a spatula until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Lay all of the cookies from both boxes upside down on a cooling rack or cookie sheet. One by one, use an offset spatula to spread a layer of melted chocolate on the underside of each cookie. Set each back down, chocolate side up on the cooling rack or baking sheet. Repeat until all of the cookies are frosted. Place entire rack or sheet in refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set completely before filling.
Make the marshmallow frosting:
- Fill a medium sized saucepan with about an inch of water and place over medium heat, bringing to a boil.
- In a medium to large sized mixing bowl (one that will nest on top of the saucepan without touching the water), mix the egg whites, organic cane sugar and cream of tartar.
- Place the mixing bowl on top of the saucepan, and whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves. The sugar dissolves at around 120° and took about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully transfer the contents into the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on low for 30 seconds, then gradually increase speed to high. Mix for an additional 6-8 minutes or until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix just until combined.
Assembling the sandwich cookies:
- Remove the chocolate coated cookies from the refrigerator. Use an offset spatula to spread a thick layer of the marshmallow frosting on the chocolate side of a cookie. I did mine about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Place another chocolate coated cookie on top, creating a sandwich. Set aside. Repeat until you've used all 28 cookies to make 14 sandwiches. Place back in fridge to help set for about 15-30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge. Gently press mini chocolate chips around edges of each cookie.
- If not serving immediately, store at room temperature or in the refrigerator if your house is warm!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Enjoy Life Baking Chocolate, Soy free, Nut free, Gluten free, Dairy free, Non GMO, Vegan, Paleo, Semi Sweet Mega Chunks, 10 Ounce Bags, 6 Count
Spectrum Organic All Vegetable Shortening with Spoon - 24 oz
Ateco 1307 Ultra Offset Spatula with 7.75 by 1.25-Inch Stainless Steel Blade
Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Vegan Mini Chocolate Chips
Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, 4 oz.
Thanks to Enjoy Life Foods for sponsoring this post. As always, I only work with companies I love and recommend.