Posted by https://mygluten-freekitchen.com/gluten-free-caramel-sauce-sundaes/
© 2017 My Gluten-free Kitchen. All rights reserved.
Gluten-free Caramel Sauce for Ice Cream Sundaes
Thick, buttery gluten-free caramel sauce that is delicious over ice cream!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Karo light corn syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk (note: this is not a full can)
- 1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 16 Tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a large pot (tall enough for your candy thermometer to clip on to), combine the sugar, brown sugar, light corn syrup, evaporated milk, heavy cream, unsalted butter and sea salt. (So everything except the vanilla extract!)
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula. Be sure you are constantly scraping the sides, edges, and bottom of the pan and do not leave unattended for more than a couple of seconds.
- Continue cooking and stirring, monitoring the temperature with a candy thermometer until temperature reaches 224°. This took about 24 minutes for me, but will vary depending on your stove, pot size, and altitude.
- Immediately remove from heat and set hot pot on a cooling rack or trivet.
- Stir in pure vanilla extract.
- Let cool before serving. Store leftovers in jar at room temperature or refrigerator. You can microwave the sauce for 20-30 seconds to warm and thin the sauce for drizzling again.