We affectionately call these gluten-free banana chocolate chip cookies “Monkey Cookies”. My little monkeys have loved these cookies!
What do you make when you have just one overripe banana? It isn’t enough to make a batch of gluten-free banana muffins, unless you want to make a half-batch. One overripe banana is all you need to make these gluten-free banana chocolate chip cookies, which we call Monkey Cookies! This is another of those recipes that I’ve made for so many years that I have no idea when I initially discovered the recipe.
These gluten-free banana cookies have a texture that is very different than my usual cookies. They aren’t chewy, gooey, or crumbly. I’d describe them as moist and cakey in texture. They are, I think, the perfect lunchbox cookie because they don’t fall apart or squish.
I’ve had a number of people contact me about the cute monkey milk bottle. You can buy them on Amazon: Monkey Face Mini Milk Bottle Drinking Glasses I just love mine! So fun!
I have had the best success with this recipe when I’ve used Gluten Free Mama’s Almond Blend All Purpose Flour. It is one of my favorite gluten-free flour blends. I’ve tested pretty much every single recipe on my site with this flour blend.
Gluten-free Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe:
- 1 1/4 cups (162 grams) gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum* (see note)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (=1 large overripe banana)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking liner. If you don't have either one, spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream together butter and sugars.
- Add banana, egg, and vanilla and beat together.
- Pour dry ingredients into creamed mixture and beat on low just until mixed in.
- Stir in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out equal portions on prepared cookie sheets. I use a medium sized scoop.
- Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are set and edges just barely start to brown.
- Allow to set on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before carefully removing to cooling racks.
- Store leftovers in airtight containers or bags, or freeze in Ziploc freezer bags.
- Yields 18 cookies that are about 3" wide.
*If your gluten-free flour blend contains xanthan or guar gum already, then omit the xanthan gum called for in this recipe.
I usually make these using Gluten Free Mama's almond blend flour, but feel free to try it with your favorite gluten-free flour blend.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
AirBake Natural Cookie Sheet, 16 x 14 in
Rumford Baking Powder, 8.1 Ounce, 2 Count
Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, 4 oz.
Guittard Chocolate Chip Semisweet 12oz (Pack of 2)
Parchment Paper Baking Sheets - (100 pcs) - Pre-cut Perfect Fit for Sheet Pans
OXO Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop