Posted by https://mygluten-freekitchen.com/snickerdoodle-streusel-apple-pie-gluten-free/
© 2016 My Gluten-free Kitchen. All rights reserved.
Gluten-free Snickerdoodle Streusel Apple Pie
Apple Pie Filling
- 6 cups peeled, sliced tart apples
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free flour blend (or cornstarch)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Lightly spray inside bottom and sides of pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using a food processor or food chopper, pulse the Snickerdoodle cookies until mixture is coarse crumbs with some larger chunks. (See photo in blog post.)
- Transfer cookie crumbs to a medium sized bowl. Add brown sugar and whisk until blended together.
- Melt the butter, then pour over the cookie crumb mixture. Use a fork to mix together, creating our Snickerdoodle streusel.
- Scoop out 1 cup of streusel; set aside for use as topping later. Press remaining streusel firmly and evenly in bottom and up sides of the lightly greased pie plate.
- Set pie aside and turn oven on to 375° to preheat while you make the apple pie filling.
Apple Pie filling:
- Peel and thinly slice 6 cups worth of apples. I cut each apple slice in half again so pieces would be smaller for faster cooking time. Stir together apple slices and lemon juice.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter. Add apple slices and brown sugar. Stir, cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cooking time will vary greatly based on variety/firmness of your apples and how soft you like them. Your goal here is to cook them just a tad bit less than you want the finished product. The time in the oven will finish them off.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of gluten-free flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. This will absorb the liquid and make nice saucy apples. As soon as the liquid has decreased (usually within a minute), remove from heat.
- Scoop apple pie filling into the prepared crust.
- Sprinkle with reserved snickerdoodle streusel.
- Bake at 375° for 18 minutes. Topping will be nicely browned and apples should be cooked perfectly.
- Remove from oven, let cool a bit and enjoy! This is delicious both warm or at room temperature. We enjoyed this plain or with vanilla ice cream, but homemade whipped cream is yummy on this too!
You can use salted or unsalted butter in this. The amount of salt would be so small and not have an impact on the outcome of the recipe, so use whichever you have on hand.