It has been so cold here in Idaho where I live these past few weeks. It was 2° this morning! On cold days like this, there is nothing like having a meal slow cooking all day for a delicious, hot dinner! Slow Cooker Pot Roast is one of those super easy meals that is full of veggies and is a stick to your ribs type of meal. If you have a family member that is a meat and potatoes kind of person, they’ll love this. Even a tough cut of meat gets nice and moist after slow cooking all day. I used a large grass-fed beef chuck roast, which was a pretty lean cut of meat, but it was very moist and tender at the end of the 8 hours of cooking.
I was never one to use a lot of canned cream soups before going gluten-free because they contain so many ingredients and I prefer to cook/bake more healthy than that. I was happy to find this box of Organic Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup made by Pacific Natural Foods. Nothing weird or chemical in the ingredients list at all and this soup is clearly labeled gluten-free! You should easily be able to find this condensed soup in the Organic or Gluten-free section of your favorite store. The beef bouillon that I use is by Herb-ox and is also clearly labeled gluten-free. It is available as granules or cubes and I find it at my local Winco store, so it should be easy for you to find as well.
Here is a look at it all layered in the Crock-pot ready to cook:
It is a little hard to make cream of anything look great prior to cooking! During cooking though, that soup combined with the beef broth, seasonings, and juices from the beef combine to make a delicious gravy!
If it is cold where you are, pick up a roast and put this on your menu plan to make soon. Everyone will love it! My hubby and kids ate it right up and my hubby enjoyed the leftovers for lunch the next couple of days! My sweet cornbread is great to enjoy with this!
- 3lbs. (or whatever size I happen to buy!) chuck roast/pot roast/rump roast
- Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper – to taste, about ½ tsp. each
- 1 box (12 oz.) Pacific Natural Foods Organic Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup*
- 1 cup hot water with 1 cube of Herb-ox gluten-free beef bouillon or 1 tsp. Herb-ox gluten-free beef bouillon granules
- ½ lb. baby carrots, cut in ½
- 5 medium red or gold potatoes, cut in about 1.5″ cubes (leave skins on)
- ¾ cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Trim excess fat from roast. Place roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle roast with garlic powder, salt, and pepper to cover well. Pour in condensed cream of mushroom soup and beef broth.
- Layer potatoes, carrots and mushrooms (optional) around sides and top of roast.
- Put lid on and cook on LOW for about 8 hours.
- Before serving, scoop out about 1.5-2 cups of the liquid that is in the slow cooker. Put liquid in a saucepan on the stove. Add to it 2 T. cornstarch that is dissolved in ¼ cup cold water.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat and boil 1 minute or until gravy is thick. Season to taste with more garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Serve roast with veggies and gravy. Serve with cornbread if you’d like!